Brittony Combi SE Overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a brittony combi se (80 or 100), which is not great but works ok.

The boiler is over heating and sounds like a light aircraft is going above you.

CH works fine and seems ok, however turn on the hot tap and hot water comes and flows fine, it is a little intermittent in temp but seems generally ok apart from the aeroplane over head noise. This started out like a kettle whistling and now has got worse and turned into a light aircraft. Could this be the secondary DHW heat exchanger being blocked with limescale?

The boiler produces hot water and does work but the noise gets reasonably loud then boiler cuts out and cools down (i assume) and resumes heating once temp drops in flow of dhw line. This has been like this for about 2 weeks.

We are broke at the moment and cant afford to replace the heat exchanger at the moment.

So my questions are as follows:

1.) Will the over heating cause severe damage or danger if left uncorrected for say a month. (we have started to use DHW as little as possible, 2 showers a day 3 mins max, no CH and washing up once a day)

2.) The DHW setting is at about halfway on the dial at the front, will changing this help, i.e will lower setting mean less demand for heat therefore allow boiler to modulate better or turn up to full and have less flow but more heat?

3.) How quick can sediment form and cause total blockage?

4.) Whats is the source of the aircraft noise? Water boiling in heat exchanger?

Obviously the blockage will get worse if left but at the moment there are no fault codes and the boiler is sort of modulating (on or off).

We will have some money to correct this in a month but will we last that long? I know hard to quantify without hearing or seeing but thought i'd ask the question.

Any help much appreciated,

John H

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back