Broken conservatory sliding door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a new house with a conservatory. The door to the outside pulls away from the frame at the top and bottom and then slides to the left. It has been a nightmare to get used to and now it seem stuck. The top will come towards me as usual but the bottom doesn't. Does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Sponsored Links
By the sound of it you have a tilt and slide patio door. Once locked the handle should point downwards, turn 90 degrees and the top should tilt inwards leaving the bottom locked, push the top back in and turn the handle a further 90 degrees so it points upwards now and both top and bottom should move inwards and then slide left........is this how it worked before?

I hadn't realised it but YES! That is exactly what it does. Thanks for your advice. Funnily enough the windows do the same thing. Do you have any tips about closing it easily as we have some difficulty doing that too.

Its difficult to know where you've got into a muddle other than handle position is out of sync with door position, tilt and slide mechanisms are prone to jumping teeth and throwing some parts out of alignment or worse still failing completely. What i would do is get the door in the fully out position when it ready to slide left and get it so that the handle is facing up, IF you have trouble then its possible that something has gone on with the mechanism, other than that and without looking at it myself then thats all i can advise but keep posting if your struggling and i'll do my best :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm sure the door isn't working as it should. The handle is very loose and it doesn't point all the way to 12 o'clock when opening. After reading your post I only lifted it slightly past 45 degrees for it to slide again. Only once (which is when I thought I'd broken it!) did it sit in the tilt position. Hasn't done it before or since.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back