Broken Dryton Mid Position Actuator MA1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a problem with the downstairs radiators heating up when the CH system is only supposed to be heating the water. Removed actuator head, which was quite warm, from the valve & discovered bits, including a spring rattling around inside!

Now purchased & wired in a replacement actuator but not yet fitted on to the valve, since having read on this board about siezed valves, I thought it best to check the spindle movement. If I power up the system and change between hot water, central heating, and both, I can see the actuator moving to 3 different angle positions, but since I'm working on my own, with the valve in the loft, and the CH controls in the kitchen, I cannot tell if the the actuator turns through i.e. 15 degrees, or a half or full revolution (or more) plus 15 degrees.

I've also noticed that the 'valve postion indicator' does not move the full amount between the "W M H" window. When the heating is ON, the indicator is right at the 'H' end, but when only hot water is ON, the indicator, is more like halfway between the "W" and "M". Is that normal?

Checking the movement on the valve's spindle, using an adjustable spanner, it moves through only about 30 degrees total. Is that all it's meant to do?

I assume that moving and locking the 'manual lever' before fitting the actuator to the valve, overcomes the problem of ensuring that the valve spindle and the actuator are correct aligned the first time power is applied. Is that correct?

I would appreciate some guidance before fitting the actuator to the valves.

regards
Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back