Mid Position Actuator not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, my mid position actuator only switches itself to HW posistion and not to CH when called. however I can use the manual lever to move it to CH to get heating.

The model is called BGMVSP-23. it has W-M-H three positions and has lever on the opposite side of W-M-H. Don't know what it is for. I can press it and it release itself.

what is wrong with my actuator ? If it needs replacing, do I call a plumber or electrician? which model and make is compatible with my actuator?

Appreciate for any help you may offer.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is a British Gas Mid Pos actuator.

An ACL one will fit in its place.

HOWEVER it could be the room stat or timeclock that is the problem.

One screw removes the cover of the valve alowing you to test for voltage to the motor with a multimeter.

thank you for your reply.

I can hear clicking sound when adjusting the room stat to increase and decrease temperature.

timeclock is digital and it's BG brand.

When CH light is on and HW light is off, the actuator still points to HW, it can not switch itself to CH.

does this mean that timeclock is not in working order?

Don't have multimeter available. Anything else I can check?

no i would opt for the motorised valve motor (synchronous motor)
take the lid off the valve and place a meter on the wires
or turn hw off and turn heating on you'll hear the motor and the lever should move to h

Sponsored Links
if you dont have a meter there are 3 basic options;

1) borrow/buy one

2) get an engineer in

3) throw parts at it till it works,
I would say motor first

thank you seco and twgas.
no i would opt for the motorised valve motor (synchronous motor)
take the lid off the valve and place a meter on the wires
or turn hw off and turn heating on you'll hear the motor and the lever should move to h
I tried and turned off HW and turned on heating, the lever does not move to H automatically. however, I can move lever to H by hand.
if you dont have a meter there are 3 basic options;
1) borrow/buy one ....
with a meter, what sort of voltage should I look for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back