Broken Radiator Bleed valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to bleed some air off my bathroom radiator when the bleed valve sheered in two and snapped off. Do I need to replace whole radiator or can the valve be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Is it tapped straight into the rad eg a Myson roundtop rad, or is it within a 1/2" nut on the end?

the bleed screw isn't in a square recess, is it?

Sponsored Links
Unless you can drill it out and find a replacement nipple then it sounds like a new rad then :cry:

if you have a low-speed, reversible drill/screwdriver, you may be able to get a left-handed drill (this is not a joke) which can sometimes extract broken screws. you may find them in a tool shop, hardware store or DIY shed. If it save you having to buy and fit a new rad it's worth a try.

I do NOT mean the ironically-named "easy-outs" which are a sort of spiral screw extractor in very hard steel and more often than not snap off immovably when they are used by hand

Unless it is a really big and therefore expansive rad, replace it with a proper one, that allows you to swap the bleeder if need be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back