broken ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When doing the R1 + R2 test for a ring recently i found there was a break in the earth. A couple of questions to the householder and i was directed to an area that had been recently redecorated. The socket was removed and an earth wire jumped out at me.

What are the implications of this missing earth?
Are all sockets still earthed?
Is Zs the main problem in this scenario?

cheers

Sponsored Links
All sockets would, more than likely be earthed. Possibly the one with the loose earth may not be (if it was a loose terminal).

The Zs would be slightly higher than it would with the ring continuos, but still would satisfy the disconnection time in 99% of the cases I would think!

So an incomplete earth ring is not dangerous?
the socket had one earth connected but the other was not...

Hi
The advantage of a final circuit is that if there was a break in the ring it would still be earthed through the other side, but if you then get a break some else in the ring, there may be no protective earth on some sockets, if it can't be fixed, you could divide the ring main into 2 radial circuits with 20amp breakers, but you must calculate the current draw on each circuit so that it will not overload. WARNING THIS COULD TURN OUT TO BE A BIGGER JOB THAN YOU THOUGHT.

Also you could not give a certificate for your work as it will not comply with bs7671 (broken protective earth) reg 713-03-01

Onesongrg

Sponsored Links
There is no immediate danger, but you should never contemplate leaving a broken ring. It should still be fixed with out delay.

mackeral said:
When doing the R1 + R2 test for a ring recently i found there was a break in the earth. A couple of questions to the householder and i was directed to an area that had been recently redecorated. The socket was removed and an earth wire jumped out at me.

What are the implications of this missing earth?
Are all sockets still earthed?
Is Zs the main problem in this scenario?

cheers
Just curious - on what basis are you doing this sort of thing for other people without knowing the answers to those questions?

BAS, come from a maintenance gackground. Thing is, problems were rectified but without really fully appreciating the implications. I have my own opinion, but i enjoy hearing others...

ban-all-sheds

Just curious - on what basis are you doing this sort of thing for other people without knowing the answers to those questions?
Being able to the test is one thing, the remedy is something different.

I can see no harm in doing a test, & saying pass / fail. The pass comment is then piece of mind. Should it be a fail then call an expert.
PLease dont bite my head off :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back