Broken stone gate posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I've rebuilt a short section of sandstone wall at the front of my cottage but both of the matching stone gateposts had previously broken just above ground level. The stubs appear to have been dug out and disappeared before I came here.

I'm OK with setting them on concrete plinths (or suitably shaped stone if time and budget permit), which would only have to be showing 10 -20 cms above the ground. Best received knowledge is that I should have a couple of M16 s/s threaded bars joining the two components, plus resin between the surfaces.

The problem is how does one drill the holes in exactly the right location in the plinth to match the bars in the base of the post, or vice versa?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210903_105228298.jpg
    IMG_20210903_105228298.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Are you going to hang the gates off them, or are they just decorative?

scbk I'd intended to hang the gate from one of them.
The gap between the walls for the gateway is the right size to take the two stone gateposts and a standard off the peg gate. If the gate isn't hung on one of the stone posts, it'll have to be on a metal post. Then there just won't be the space for a standard gate; it would have to be a narrower bespoke one (expensive and probably a nuisance). Maybe I could set the metal posts immediately behind the non-load bearing stone posts (looking from the road)? Might look a bit naff though.
If I did this, and the stone posts therefore were just decorative, how would you fix them so that they were safe?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back