Broken toilet handle options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet handle broke (looks like metal fatigue) and I'm unable to find a replacement.

The suite was bought about 5 years ago from Homebase. Make is Ideal Standard we believe but seems to be obsolete. See pictures. Does anyone recognise this and able to confirm make or even name? it is an off-white, but not cream. the lid had a back ridge (poorly shown in the photos, sorry).

It is a side flush and this seems to limit my options considerably. No retail supplier seems to have any replacement side-flush handles these days.

Any suggestions as to my options?

What about me fitting a replacement dual-flush (veriflush?) syphon. My understanding is they can be fitted to cisterns that had the lever on the side.

I've seen several dual-flush syphons and they state the outlet needs to be in the range of 1-1.5 inches (diameter?). Would this fit? I measured the white plastic syphon down pipe in the cistern to estimate the size without dismantling and it was 14cm in circumference. My schoolgirl maths suggests that's an OD of 4.5cm (1.75 inches). Is that likely/possible or just an irrelevant measurement here?

I'm reluctant to dismantle until I know I have a solution as Im not sure it's a quick/simple job for me. I'm mostly competent with my hands but not that confident so end up being painfully slow.

C.

Sponsored Links
If your local plumbers' merchant can't help you, then have a look on the Lunns web site.
Wow, that's one good site. thank you. Most sites I've looked at had few pictures but on this one I was able find a picture of my lever - an exact match I think. it's an Ideal D Pattern Chrome Cistern Lever.

Rather expensive though at £27 with delivery. Now that I know what I'm looking for I try again locally and at maybe save the £8 p+P.

However, I'm rather thinking that one of those dual-flush syphons might be the right way to go anyway. Especially as the lever failed due to metal fatigue (= poor design). They seem to sell at less than £15 so it would be a cheaper option too (although Lunns have them at about £30). Again getting one locally would be better as if I do have an error with the outlet size I ought to be able to exchange it more easily and quickly.

Anyone have a view on this. Are they a) easy to fit, b) worth the money and c) at least a little more reliable than my broken lever?

C.

p.s. Actually the handle at £27 is cheap compared to a new bathroom, which would be the alternative if I couldn't fix it, so ought not to grumble :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back