BSOD!! Repeated restarts and errors, any help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, the story so far,

I am running a lenovo R500 Laptop (basically an IBM Thinkpad) with 2gb RAM, 160GB HDD, and Vista Busines O/S.

Over the past week i have been experiencing repeated restarts for no apparent reason and the BSOD popping up and going through the "perfoming dump of physical memory" malarky.

On a few occassions the laptop refused to restart and would continually reboot itself during the boot period. After finally getting to the desktop i transferred all my files quickly so as not to lose anything.

Out of frustration and desperation i then completed a factory restore using the on board software and completely reset the laptop.

Hoped that all was going to be well but..... it's still bl**dy doing it on a fresh install!

Is there any way i can track down what is causing this issue as it's starting to do my head in. I have performed a system component test that is built in and that checks the RAM and the HDD sectors and all comes back as passed.

Also this a copy of one of the error reports to M$:

BCP: c2000021a
BCP1: 8BB9F9B8
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: C0000001
BCP4: 0010075C

M$ came back with no results. The laptop is currently working but i'm sure it wont be long before it hits again!

I now have nothing to lose on this laptop so any help, no matter how intrusive or destructive, will be appreciated.

TIA

Jon

Sponsored Links
The fact that you have re-installed from scratch and still have the problem suggests that it isn't a software problem (doesn't guarantee it, though). The problems you sometimes encounter getting re-started sort of backs this up - if it was a program causing you grief after a period of good running, then a restart should fix it until the next time. RAM and HDD tests vary, and often don't show things up. I'd guess at hardware.

Do you think it might be overheating? Or at the least, having a problem that only asserts itself when the PC is hot? How long does it run before playing up? Is there much variance in the timing?

It might be worth reading up, and try just removing the memory and putting it back in. If you are lucky, it might just be a bit of chip creep. Or if it has more than one stick of memory, and there is no improvement, try removing one, see if it is better or worse, then try swapping in the other one. It might run a bit slower, but should be fine on 1GB. It might have just one stick playing up when it gets warm.

Same with the HDD. Just slide it out and back in again.

In both cases, watch out for static electricity if you are handling any internal parts, and be really careful - it's all really delicate and awkward to get at - make sure you understand how stuff is held in before pulling at it. Sometimes there are odd looking clips and things that need lifting, or squeezing to release the memory.

Laptops often get full of dust, and it's a pain to clean it out - if you don't have any luck with the ideas above, the only advice I can give is to do lots of reading about how laptops are constructed and get busy dismantling. I use a straw, and blow the dust out. You can use anything that blows air, though...

Have a look in the event viewer and post the contents of the application and system logs.

You'll find event viewer in Control Panel under Admin tools or you can click START>RUN and type eventvwr and press Enter.

Sponsored Links
Back