BSOD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given my niece's laptop to fix (again). She said it kept crashing with a blue screen (oh no).

I discovered that her antivirus had run out and she'd not renewed or updated it, so started off running Malwarebytes and a new version of Avira.

Loads of trojans and goodness knows what else.

I think I've got rid of them but it still keeps crashing with BSOD.

I've had it running all day and it's been fine but it's just crashed again.

There's no file name showing on BSOD and I don't know how to access the Minidump to see if I can find out what the problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?

It's running Vista.

Sponsored Links
Windows is setup by default to restart immediately after a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) or other major system problem. This reboot usually happens too fast to see the error message on screen.

Follow these easy steps to disable the automatic restart feature for system failures in Windows Vista.

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot.

The next time the PC BSs, note the error message and either post it or google it, you will then have to hold the power button in for 5 secs and the PC will power off.

Black Ace Computer Repair

Blackacecomputer.com

Windows is setup by default to restart immediately after a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) or other major system problem. This reboot usually happens too fast to see the error message on screen.

Follow these easy steps to disable the automatic restart feature for system failures in Windows Vista.

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.

2. Click on the System and Maintenance link.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot.

The next time the PC BSs, note the error message and either post it or google it, you will then have to hold the power button in for 5 secs and the PC will power off.

Black Ace Computer Repair

Blackacecomputer.com

That's like the horse has bolted? If it halts on BSOD, look up the error code, a faulty memory stick is possibly the fault, or corrupt software, as it's a laptop, maybe a battery issue, or corrupt hdisk. Can it be loaded in safe mode? Maybe the operating system is overloading the system, as it has been repaired before, as you say? Maybe downgrade it it to Xp?

Sponsored Links
Back