BT line through NTL socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Apologies in advance but I know very little about telecoms.

Situation: house with a single NTL socket, NTL phone and TV.

spoke to BT to arrange a BT line and they said that the NTL line/socket could be simply "taken over" by BT, as NTL only rent the line from BT anyway.

Went ahead with the BT line order and cancelled NTL (30 day notice) so now I technically have 2 lines from one socket and 2 different numbers. The NTL one works as normal, but the BT one rings when dialled, but this does not sound from my phone.

I guess my questions are as follows: Can the BT line take over and work with the current NTL socket???

and when the NTL line is disconnected (i.e. after the 30 day wait) will the BT line then start working?

Many thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
The NTE socket is the same but I thought NTL had their own cable from the street. IF the line is indeed supplied using BT's local loop then it would just be a case of BT moving the wire in the exchange end from NTL's equipment to BT's.

Why not tell NTL to poke their line and disconnect it now rather than wait 30 days, they will ask you to pay for the 30days line rental, but you would be doing that anyway.

NTL do have their own network, but if the network is not in your area they use BT wholesale products for their network.

NTL will have to ditch your line before BT can re-provide.

Your BT line is not yet active.

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for the replies so far!

In response to one of them - NTL wouldnt cancel their line early, even with me offering to pay up the line rental etc, which is really why I am in this position.

Hopefully then, BT line should kick in as soon as the NTL one is disconnected :confused: (whats the bet it takes another 10-15 phone calls to sort this out and then probably an engineer visit)

ahh well.

thanks again.

I'm concerned that the new BT number rings out already. This can happen in some circumstances, but I wouldn't expect it with a new number on a takeover that hasn't taken place yet. Have BT given you a start date?

Oh, and please tell me you don't have broadband on this line.

I'm concerned that the new BT number rings out already. This can happen in some circumstances, but I wouldn't expect it with a new number on a takeover that hasn't taken place yet. Have BT given you a start date?

Oh, and please tell me you don't have broadband on this line.

I have broadband with NTL - this is also being cancelled in the next few days!

BT start date was around 29th August. I presumed NTL would just cancel my line for BT to take over but they reckoned they couldnt do it.

and if it makes sense or is relevant, the BT number is an old number which was previously linked to the property, so in effect they are just re activating this through the NTL outlet?!

thanks again.

They have probably done the exchange end and just waiting for the pairs to be done in the street. The fact that the number rings out means it is live somewhere but not in your socket!

Residential moves and takeovers are done on a stop start basis. The outgoing customer has their service at that address ceased, but the line is left fully intact so that it can be reactivated for the next customer. If BT are taking over the line from NTL then they can't 'start' service on it before the NTL stop date and unless the 'new' number is currently meant to be in service elsewhere, it really should be unobtainable until then.

Their capacity for cock-up is however infinite...

Residential moves and takeovers are done on a stop start basis. The outgoing customer has their service at that address ceased, but the line is left fully intact so that it can be reactivated for the next customer. If BT are taking over the line from NTL then they can't 'start' service on it before the NTL stop date and unless the 'new' number is currently meant to be in service elsewhere, it really should be unobtainable until then.

Their capacity for cock-up is however infinite...
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back