bubbling and flaking paint after 15months, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i decorated several rooms 15months ago and the paint is bubbling and flaking off. Prior to decoration i stripped wall paper, washed with sugar soap water, rinsed and then applied 2 coats of emulsion. it is happening in all the rooms all over. can anyone please give me some advise on how to rectify the problem.

should i have used a certain primer before painting on the plaster?

any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What type of materials did you paint over ? (i.e new/bare plaster, wallpaper, artex etc......)

What paint did you use ?

i stripped wallpaper off and it was bare plaster behind. The house is 35yrs old and all the walls had wallpaper on, all showing bare plaster.

i used dulux emulsion silk and some rooms dulux emulsion matt.

Ok.

Please explain what you used & and how used the emulsions in each room.

(i.e. Room 1: I applied Vynil Silk unthinned directly onto bare plaster in two coats.)

Also, was the emulsion called Dulux Rich Matt/Silk by any chance ?

Was it One-Coat Emulsion ?

Was it an emulsion that the instructions advized an sealer/primer to be used ?

Sponsored Links
i painted room 1: with the dulux luxurious silk (colourguard formulation contemporary blue) using a roller direct onto the plaster, i allowed to dry for 24hrs and applied 2nd coat. I did not thin any of the paint.

i have just got the tin out and it advises to seal new and bare prorous surfaces for better results with dulx sealer for plaster.

i contacted dulux and they say i should by the dulux trade alkali primer and start over again.

Your help in this matter is much appreciated.

Room 2; i applied dulux one coat rich matt (sea blue) direct onto the plaster, allowed 24hrs to dry and applied 2nd coat.

I personally would be more inclined to strip all coatings off, rather than applying Alkali Resisting Primer.

Room 1, will come off easy with a scraper.

Room 2, will come off easy with a scraper.

Both will come TOTALLY away from the plaster as they both HAVE NOT penetrated/adhered to the plaster.

This may take you a while to do, but be patient. Prob one wall a day.

Good luck.

thanks for your reply, how would you recommend me to take the paint off the walls and once i have done this should i use a certain type of primer or sealer etc before reapplying the paint.

Thankyou.

Scrape the walls dry.

i.e. no soaking needed.

Get a sharp scraper and start getting between the plaster and paint with the scraper. Once you do this then the paint should be easy to scrape off as the paint has not adhered to the plaster.

It should be like stripping painted woodchip that has not been sealed properly to the plaster.

Once everything has been stripped, you will prob need to fill bits here and there.

Then all you need is to use Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt thinned down by 25 % and apply this to your now bare surfaces.

Then apply a new second coat but only thinned by 15%.

Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back