Build Or Buy??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick one. I need a garden shed to store the usual junk, lawnmowers garden tools etc. I dont want to spend a fortune and have been looking in B&Q at their cheapies ( About £150 ). Question is if i build my own will i be able to do it cheaper. Obviously i will probably get a better quality one if i build it but as its all the wifes junk i aint too bothered. Just want it all out of my garage so my bike isnt in danger of getting battered.
What do you think Shop bought or build my own??
Cheers

Sponsored Links
up to you.

have you the skills?

have you the time?

have you the plans?

I went to B&Q in Sunderland last year for a new shed, and like you said £150 notes then i noticed they were selling damaged sheds the same size for under £40 (6x4) looking at the damage i thought i can fix that for less than £20 and 1/2hours labour. Went to pay for it,took 45 mins for them to sort the right code out then off home, next morning it was delivered, my missus took delivery(i was in bed),"It's the wrong one" she informs me "you better have a look".Out of bed like a shot,she's right,wrong one they had delivered a brand new perfect one 10x8, "Better ring them" she says "Hold on"says me.Checked the documents and the product number on the delivery sheet matched the number on my receipt. Shed was built in 2 hours. :LOL: So try looking for damaged stock,they are easily repaired and save you money. ;)

pitbull said:
I went to B&Q in Sunderland last year for a new shed, and like you said £150 notes then i noticed they were selling damaged sheds the same size for under £40 (6x4) looking at the damage i thought i can fix that for less than £20 and 1/2hours labour. Went to pay for it,took 45 mins for them to sort the right code out then off home, next morning it was delivered, my missus took delivery(i was in bed),"It's the wrong one" she informs me "you better have a look".Out of bed like a shot,she's right,wrong one they had delivered a brand new perfect one 10x8, "Better ring them" she says "Hold on"says me.Checked the documents and the product number on the delivery sheet matched the number on my receipt. Shed was built in 2 hours. :LOL: So try looking for damaged stock,they are easily repaired and save you money. ;)

Jammy get!

Yeh, you can take the Lib-Dem route. Buy a cheapie and spend a little bit extra time and cash beefing it up to your own specs.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies fellas. Good idea looking for damaged sheds will give it a go. If not i reckon i'll knock my own up.

dibble said:
Cheers for the replies fellas. Good idea looking for damaged sheds will give it a go. If not i reckon i'll knock my own up.

Good luck, be be forewarned, the total timber cost will be more expensive than you anticipate.

You were right about the cost of the timber. Was going to cost almost as much as a bought one.
Managed to pick up a second hand one from a mate who was moving house so in the end it was a question of Build, Buy or Restore and i went for the latter and saved myself £100 notes, well pleased.
Thanks for help fellas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back