Builder did good job but overcharged for materials, advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just had a builder in to fit a sink (provided by me) and internal fire proof door (provided by him). He charged a day rate of £150 to do this which I think is very reasonable.

However, he has charged about £70 for the door. I have the internet and a tape measure and it looks suspiciously like a £30 one on the Wickes website. As the labour charge was reasonable and I like the guy, I don't want to fall out over this. My issue is that I'd rather he was honest and just charged me more upfront and I worry that if I don't say something I'll be paranoid about him overcharging if I use him again.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Did he give you a total price for the work?

Did he buy the door on the same day as fitting it?

Is his work good, did he tidy up and would you recommend him?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Did he give you a total price for the work?

Did he buy the door on the same day as fitting it?

Is his work good, did he tidy up and would you recommend him?

Andy

No, he quoted for the labour but I didn't ask for a quote for materials. He did buy the door the same day as fitting it yes.

The door drags on the carpet in one corner which he could have done better but otherwise fine.

I'll put it down to a life lesson that I should have got a proper estimate upfront and/or bought the door myself and get over it?

if you bought the door he probably would of taken longer to fit it so just take it on the chin, as long as its done right and you were happy with the price on day 1. Also if he would of asked you to go out and buy all the materials would you have trusted a 'skint' builder?

Cheers guys. Its really good to get some reassurance.

He is definitely better than the electrician, who snapped my oven door off!

if its rubbing then get him back to sort it.
just so i get this correct,he charged you £150 to fit a sink and a door and then charged you £70 for the door?
what about ironmongery?

he may well of got the door from wickes,he went and used his petrol and time to obtain said door so within his charge for labour he has allowed for this.
how long did the job take?

if its rubbing then get him back to sort it.
just so i get this correct,he charged you £150 to fit a sink and a door and then charged you £70 for the door?
what about ironmongery?

he may well of got the door from wickes,he went and used his petrol and time to obtain said door so within his charge for labour he has allowed for this.
how long did the job take?

£30 for the handle and latch. It looks like the £8 budget one from homebase.

I'm not sure, I went to work and left him to it. It was only a little sink and there was no existing door to remove so probably not very long.

Any advice for next time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back