Builder wants to mist coat before tiling & fitting bathroom!!

oh yes, thanks, good point. the tiling is already underway, and unfortunately some of it was done before the mould was treated on the plaster - aargh! really hope this doesn't mean that i'll end up with mould coming through the grout lines? luckily i got there before the whole tiling job was done, so the tiles have been removed off the worst mouldy corner, and now sprayed down with a fungicidal wash.

Sponsored Links
My reply might be too late. When our bathrooms were platersed, the tiler (not the builder) dis not want a mist coat on any of the walls that he was about to tile.

Thanks, Mutley56 - yes, someone else mentioned that already, but thanks for the advice - am trying to leave gaps where the tiling is going to go. Appreciate your help.

On the walls that were to be painted and not tiled, the mist coat I used was Leyland Super Leytex. Designed for newly plastered walls. Purchased from screwfix. I also avoided bathroom paint for the top coat and used acrylic eggshell instead if I recall correctly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Mutley56 - had been wondering whether to go for bathroom paint or not for the top coats - did you use acrylic eggshell so that the plaster could continue to dry out? So I could us acrylic eggshell to start with, and in a year or so, I could put some bathroom paint on over the top?

I used that type of paint following reading around the subject on this web site. Not had any problems with it and I understand that it doesn't need any further coats of paint of any type.
I hope your project goes well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back