Builders contract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im about to have an extension built and have most things finnalized but im wondering what sort of contract i should draw up with my builder. I have a qoute for the cost and a list of all things he will do for that cost but no time line (he has given me a labour only cost as he does not want to pass the turnover threshold where he would have to register for VAT?). He has help me set up an account at a building suppliers. He lives 1 door away from me, we have been comunicating well. And i have seen some of his work.
Im just wondering what else i should be looking at. As the time is drawing nearer im getting nervous!

Sponsored Links
hmmmm. guess all buiders pull the same stunts.
In having a materials only job, it suggests the contractor doesn't want to be tied/commited to your extension if he can get away with it. Im a Building Surveyor and I contract manage construction work as a living and the best thing to do would be to commit you buider to the your extension. Is it a cash job??? if so you can draw up a very simple contract (which will be binding proving its clear and consise with all parties signitures included) for the builder to sign so he commits to competing the work before or on a certain date and reasonably within budget (if it goes over-budget ask via letter WHY???). He should understand your conserns.
check if he; has insurance, is an approved builder etc.

In my experience, all builders/contractors do work to a satifactory standard. But to get the best out of your builder keep on top of him, make sure he's doing wht you want not what he thinks is best for you. Dont be affraid to ask questions (if you trust him) about his work, and make it crystal clear who's working for who, even if he is a neighbour or close friend.

If your still unsure, a building surveyor/ Architect/ constrcution project manager may give assistance in filling out a JCT building contract. Dont forget, the local Authority's Building Control dpt can also assist in quality of the work.

Thanks for the info,

I didnt even know he was a builder or speak to him before the planning application notice went up. He then approched me explaining himself and asking what the job was about etc. He is probably sick of me popping round to ask questions now. When you say "is it a cash job" what do you mean? i was planning on paying him by cheque? Any ideas or links on how the leeter should be worded?

Thanks

Throw in a clause about retaining a % of total cost for about 3-6months after completion to cover any snagging items.

Sponsored Links
Try the Federation of Master Builders (FMB) website, as they allow you to download a 'plain english' contract. You can then modify this by adding or removing anything you like

http://www.findabuilder.co.uk/why/DPDFMergerNETv303/merge/contracts_PDF.aspx

I have recently appointed a builder on a 45k job who is not on the FMB list, but was happy to sign the contract. If they are not, ask yourself why, and then don't use them.

good advice that simple contract. Remember to change the relevant details to suit this project.

I would advise a stage payment scheme so you retain his attention.

e.g:

Site preperation - fixed fee/agreed fee
excavation & foundation - fixed fee/agreed fee
walls up to d.p.c - fixed /agreed fee
walls up to roof level - "

so on and so on..........keep it simple for you and you may enjoy it. Ask questions all the time and let him know if your not happy.

good luck.......
help is here if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back