Building a rainwater soakawap / sump.

BFG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. For my first post, I'd like to propose a problem.

We have a 1930's property with a mains sewer at the rear. The guttering at the front of the house empties into (we presume) a soakaway blocked this long time and beyond clearing due to a winter jasmine growing up the house.

The plot is clay soil, and slopes from the road/driveway, down to the house. The garden gets standing water after heavy rain.

At present, rainwater from the downpipe spills onto the hardstanding and is already causing a problem. So we need to resolve this fast.

What I am proposing, is to dig a new soakaway, about 10 feet from the front door. Then I plan to have a perforated pipe drain the garden, and a trough run for the rainwater, so that they both empty into the soakaway. As we're on clay, I have an idea to install a pump, which will take water from the soakaway (or sump, as I've heard it called) through a pipe sunken into the path around the house, to empty into the swere at the rear.

Has anyone done this? Can I expect any problems? Is it over the top? Any advice appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
in some parts of the country its against the regs to dispose of rainwater into the foul drain. (this doesn't mean that it doesn't happen!!!)
also the current building regs call for a soakaway to be 4m from the nearset building. which is not always possible.
normally it is poosible to just dig up the old soakawat drain and replace that as they tend to be full of plant roots.
the actual soakaway is normally OK

good luck

aleks

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

The regs for soakaway is 5m. But, I can put one in as there is an existing soakaway. Also, if I put a sump, this is sealed and doesn't count, so can be closer. If I site the soakaway 5m away, it will be untenable due to the fall of the plot. Currently, existing rainwater is running into waste sewers for the whole street, but thanks for the warning. I'm very grateful for the suggestions, it will add to the research and planning I've already done.

I'm looking for advice from people who have actually done it. And advice on which pumps last best, which switching method to use - floating switch etc.
Make myself, or go ready made: http://www.amospumps.com/sewagesumppumps.htm

Sponsored Links
That's great info - much cheaper than Machine Mart too. Thanks :)

I had another suggestion from elsewhere to use a plastic cold water tank as the sump, rather than try to dryline concrete. I'm not sure how it would endure. Obviously water contact wouldn't be a problem, and neither would the usual plastic killer UV. But I wonder about frost?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back