building a rockery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a largish wooden frame made of railway sleepers. I could either use it as a raised shrubbery and flower bed in the lawn, or as a low rockery. And i have enough smallish rocks for that.

If I go for the rockery, what would be the best base? Would I have to cut out the existing grass? Should I lay a plastic sheet to prevent weeds from coming up from below?

The rockery plants would be situated among properly arranged rocks in a mix of horticultural grit and good compost. Their roots would reach the base in a year or two and it is this which has me pondering. Some advice would be welcome, please.

leafyman

Sponsored Links
You don't need plastic tbh as laying something won't stop weeds - they'll soon grow from seeds blowing in the wind. If you've any weeds underneath, just get rid of them before building your rockery. You also need good drainage for a rockery afaik.

I would take the grass out, some grasses will die off under a few inches of soil but others are a bit more sturdy. If it's not a huge area, so I'd just play safe if it were up to me. And lastly, think about which sort of plants that you fancy planting before adding too much grit. Some plants will do great in it, others not so.

Good luck, hope all goes well :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back