Building Hours During Christmas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Undertaking a house refurb and i wanted to know what are the days/hours one can work during the Christmas period

Obviously the 25th and 26th, Sunday the 27th and New Years day are a no no..

But what about the 28th to the 31st

And is it fair game from 2nd Jan?

Works involve demolishing, chiselling, chasing, screwing etc

I have one neighbour directly adjoining the property. I probably won't win an award for neighbour of the year but c'est la vie :D:D

Sponsored Links
But what about the 28th to the 31st
Normal working days
from a council website, doing a search on google
I suspect the council website will have the samefor your area
https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20038/noise_nuisance/1159/definition_and_types_of_noise_nuisance/2
from the site
DIY noise
DIY (Do-it-Yourself) handy work should be carried out:

• Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm
  • Saturday from 8am to 1pm
  • Sunday and public and bank holidays (only for emergencies)
It is also a good idea to inform your neighbours of the work you are carrying out and how long you expect it to take. Where possible inform them in advance of noisy DIY work. Complaints may be avoided if people are aware of your timetable.

If we receive complaints and the noise continues to be carried out outside the guideline hours, we have the powers to serve an abatement notice under Section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Failure to abide by the notice could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £5000.
also talk to the neighbour and explain what you are doing
DONT have a radio blaring out , like some builders do , we ask them to turn it down often, as its often more of a nuisance then the DIY

Why not ask your neighbours instead of some random people on a forum who don't live near you?

Normal working days
from a council website, doing a search on google
I suspect the council website will have the samefor your area
https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/info/20038/noise_nuisance/1159/definition_and_types_of_noise_nuisance/2
from the site

also talk to the neighbour and explain what you are doing
DONT have a radio blaring out , like some builders do , we ask them to turn it down often, as its often more of a nuisance then the DIY
Many thanks @eta

I have the same hours in my area

Off to work on the 28th :D

Sponsored Links
Go to the neighbour(s) and let them know that if they find the disturbance too much to let you know and youll pause or stop for the day and they wont get any bother from you. Give them your phone number(s). If they think you are a reasonable person they will be more tolerant than if they are already in a conflict mindset.

Best bet is to talk to the Neighbours, ive just bought a House to renovate , 1st job I always do is knock on & introduce myself , explaining what I’m doing and letting them know I don’t work funny Hours etc , plus then give them my Phone Number asking them to call me if there’s any problems there when I’m not around (I live a mile away)

It always works well for me and the Neighbours I find

Regards

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back