Building patio in garden with slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My experience of building patios goes as far as building one on an already flat garden but I am now looking to build one on my new property.

Problem I have is where I have marked for patio the back of it is around 2 feet higher than at the front.

Obviously I will need a retaining wall but I was wondering would it be best to put retaining wall at the front and build up the way to match height at back or to put the wall at the back and dig down to match height at front?

Also what should I do first, The wall or the patio? What order should I do it?

I thought if I did wall first it might crack when I am compacting type 1 for patio and if I did patio 1st the surrounding soil would fall onto it.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unless you try and compact it the next day and bump into it when the mortar is still 'green' it will be fine. If you can leave it over a weekend for example it will be rock soild.

Retaining 2 feet of patio is into the territory of a 9inch wall so either a block wall and brick face tied into it or a 9 inch block wall rendered.

You need to consider drainage and protecting the back of the wall with DPM or Synthapruf to stop water staining of the brick face or render.

You obviously must do the wall first but maybe its easier to excavate the patio base and load in materials first if the wall is in your way once built.

As for build up or dig out its very much your choice. Usually do whatever will make it closer to the nearest exit from the house. So if the land falls away from the house retain and fill or if it slopes towards then dig out and retain.

A mix of both is easiest but may not give as good a result.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back