Built in wardrobe on external wall - avoiding mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm building a built in wardrobe onto an external wall. I want to avoid any issues with condensation/mould.

I am planning to put a 100mm insulated stud wall at the back of the wardrobe to keep the cold wall away from the wardrobe space.

Do you think this is all that is needed?

I have read people sometimes put little vents in or even a mini wardrobe heater (Screwfix sell one for £15). Maybe all of that is overkill?

When I put the plasterboard on the stud wall at the back of the wardrobe, do I need to keep a slight gap at the bottom to allow moisture to escape, as found when plasterboard meets skirting board?

TIA, much appreciated

Richard

Sponsored Links
My opinion is to forget about building in a wardrobe backing on to an outside wall - even, a presumably, cavity wall.
Why not have a moveable wardrobe with a space at the back between the wardrobe and the wall?
You can custom cut vents into the back of the wardrobe.
Constant trickle venting, and constant trickle heating are the best, expensive enemies of condensation.
They will create convection behind the unit.
No stud wall required.
If an air brick vents the room make sure its clean and open.

Hi thanks for the comment
I'm not sure sure what you mean by a moveable wardrobe though?
I could maybe create some cubby holes behind the wardrobe possibly but not on that

A moveable wardrobe is a wardrobe unit - see Ikea or B&Q etc - that can be moved (when needed) just like a tall kitchen unit.

Sponsored Links
Ah yes I see what you mean.
I do actually have a wardrobe I could put in. However, I was worried about the weight. The floor is well built, but I am being overcautious. As a suspended floor over the stairwell, I'm trying to be frugal with any weight on it.
However, maybe rather than building a stud wall directly onto the external wall as that back of the wardrobe, maybe I can make my own back of the wardrobe - just a basic stud wall? Then there could be a gap of about 30cm been that and the external wall, with some vents cut into it.
What do you think?

...Just thought maybe I could just get a sheet of 12mm plywood and attach that to the two (stud) sides walls of the wardrobe. That means the a back to the wardrobe, I can keep a good distance from the wall, and also add in some trickle vents.
That would mean there's no insulation between the external wall and the wardrobe, but it seems ventilation is key, and this I think would be easier to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back