Bungalow refurb: Works in what order please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, - I'm buying a 1950's build semi detached bungalow which is solid and in good condition but needs updating and decorating - needs new kitchen and new bathroom, but they can wait a while as I get other stuff done as they are habitable and clean.

It needs a rewire, and the ceilings need doing as there is a crack along each one so think I need them dry lined?
I am also considering insulating the outer walls from the inside although there is cavity wall insulation - is it going to be worth doing?

I am also going to get gas to the property from the pipe in the road and have a central heating system - always had a worcester bosch condensing boiler and been happy with them.

Can you please advice me the correct order of the works. Have done up properties before but this a larger project than previous ones.
Thank you. :)

Sponsored Links
1st thing is ripping it to bits
2nd get it re-wired
3rd get gas installed and boiler and heating
Im not sure why you need to install insulation if you already have it but if thats what you want then that would be the 4rt job
5th re plasterboard the ceilings
6th plaster the walls or patch up and plaster the ceilings or dryline them
7th 2nd fix joinery and electrics
8th re decorate
9th inspection and testing of the elecrical work.

You need to use your head on a big project like this. Who will be doing the electrical work and the plumbing work? You do know that it costs quite a lot of money to get the gas people to conect you to the mains. You are best getting all the 1st fix work done when the property is broken down and open. Im no plumber but all electrical work under part p is notifiable I think but the electric forum on here is the best place to ask. Post some pics on here as before and after :D and good luck and hope things turn out good for you.

Sponsored Links
My son has a kitchen company and now has a good team of tradesmen working for him who he can recommend so they will do the work. I just need to get things clear in my head and forward plan so I don't sound too much of an idiot when they come and view the jobs to quote [at matesrates]!
I have plenty of funds as got the place at a very good price to take work into account. I don't intend to cut any corners and want a good job done. Thanks for your best wishes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back