Bungalow roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise me?
I have noted on second viewing that the bungalow I am moving to has no felt below the tiles on roof The loft is in very good condition and there is no sign of leaks.
Is this normal just to have tiles , and will this affect my idea to convert loft into living accom ie. bedroom and en-suite ? thanks

Sponsored Links
basically this means the roof is quite old. and yes it will affect converting it as you will find the thickness of insulation you need to meet regs plus the 50mm ventilation gap will intrude into the room. Best bet is to have the roof stripped and re-tiled. Might be worth looking into what you could do at the same time to increase head height and maximise upstairs space at the same time

I've seen a kingspan product laid on top of the roof timbers, and tiles on top of that. I imagine it gives good insulation without intruding on the loft space. You couldn't do it if your roof met another, in a terrace or a semi, though.

The only time to do it would be when you need to reroof.

al4x said:
basically this means the roof is quite old. and yes it will affect converting it as you will find the thickness of insulation you need to meet regs plus the 50mm ventilation gap will intrude into the room. Best bet is to have the roof stripped and re-tiled. Might be worth looking into what you could do at the same time to increase head height and maximise upstairs space at the same time

Many Thanks .....I did'nt want to go to the expense of re- roofing so if I have plenty of headroom for the extra gap and thick inulation can I leave the roof without felt or would this not be reccomended?

Sponsored Links
it wouldn't be recomended as any water that gets past the tiles has no where to go except into the insulation and rafters. Your main issue will be just how much insulation you need for regs, somewhere towards 130mm of celotex / kingspan at a guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back