Burglars Could Get Away With Murder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4544238.stm

-Suspects charged with murder only if they intended to kill.

Is this an attempt to enable lessor punishment (probably correct) for mercy killings? If so, why do I get the feeling that there is an unacceptable payload coming with it?
Like for example, clever lawyers getting absolute blaggards off the 'life' hook because although they carried a multiple pom-pom on their pick-up truck, with live ammo.. 'they didn't really mean to kill anyone.."

Carry a weapon which could kill while conducting crime .. take the punishment.. full term no reprieve.
Contrast the weapon carrying subsequent killer and the possible response of the law, with making all car drivers at fault in accidents involving pedestrians...

Here's a good 'un .. http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/nontoxic-bismuth.html
:(

Sponsored Links
Bad news.

The defences to murder, provocation and diminished responsibility, I'm not a big fan of those either.

In my book, provocation would have to be actual revenge rather than just "he was really winding me up". Say someone did something absolutely abominable and criminal to a member of your family, and you went and killed them. That could understandably be called provocation. But not "he was eyeing up my bird so I bottled him".

And diminished responsibility? If you are on drugs and murder someone, you shouldn't be allowed in public. If you are mentally ill and murder someone, you shouldn't be allowed in public. That last one might not be popular with some, but why should the majority be put at risk so a tiny minority can do "normal" things like go to the shops unsupervised?

Perhaps if manslaughter charges were abolished where there was intent to cause injury, people would think twice about fighting. If a murder charge was guaranteed, we wouldn't see so many cases of pub fights where someone bashes their head on the kerb and dies. Or fights where people are kicked in the head whilst they're down.

Segregate them. If they can't live by the rules of civilised society, they shouldn't be free. :mad:

we need to send a message to the burglars in the form of

you lose your right to live the moment you try and gain illegal entry into my house

me and my family have talked this subject to death ( pun intended ) we all agree that if one of us gets burgled and in the process of the burglary one of us accidentally on purpose kills the scum bag we will simply get rid of the body or bodys no messing then report the burglary after the body is gone just so to cover the fact someone might know where the scum was heading

no jail time and we live happily knowing some shi*house has paid the ultimate price

ps my dad is 74 he actually wants to go CHARLES BRONSON and walk the dodgy streets looking for them talked him out of it we did :eek:

Sponsored Links
I believe the idea is that it will be more likely to gain a conviction on a lesser charge than the risk of acquittal on a more serious charge. The more serious the charge the higher the burden of proof. If someone escapes a murder charge they could still be guilty of manslaughter.

Back