butting wallpaper..what's the secret!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Any tips on how do get good joins when buting to peices of wallpaper.

When I do it it and the apper is wet it looks perfect but when the paper has dried some times there is an overlap.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you're not leaving the pasted paper long enough for the paste to soak in before applying to the wall and it's expanding causing overlap.

as gycol says are you letting paper soak enough? when hanging the paper remember your sposed to hang paper not press it on tooo hard as this can stretch the paper. Just smooth out gently, dont keep going over it when /if smaller bubbles appear leave alone, the paste when drying will slowly pull paper into the wall. Sometimes if your pressing too hard the paste will run out from the joints.

:confused: usually the problem is the paper shrinks at joints.

Good luck

Thinking about it I think you're right and I don't think i let the paper soak for long enough. I will allow it to soak for the full time from now on :oops:

I use a wallpaper brush to brush the paper onto the wall and then a seam roller on the edges.

Sponsored Links
Another tip, if the wallpaper is coloured, take a crayon of approximately the same colour as the wallpaper, and crayon the edges of the paper whilst still rolled up. It disguises seams quite well.

Ish said:
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try

As Gcol and CC said it sounds like you are not soaking it enough..do you get vertical wrinkles in it sometimes?...that can be an indication of not leaving it to soak enough

Also...the wall surfaces your putting it on...if if shiny or sealed the paper cant grip to it and that wont help either..it will just keep expanding...another thing to check is the temperature...if its really cold in the room then the paper will take longer to dry..giving it even more time to expand

I once did a job in a unheated flat...papering glossed walls with blown vinyl..the landlord wouldnt pay to have the walls lined so I just rubbed them down to give them a key...papered as normal..following day every joint was overlaped by over 1/4 inch..the paste was still as wet as the day before.....allowing me to pull it all off and re position it..When I did the next room I left a gap of about 1/4 of an inch..the following day the joints just had an hairline gap..which was ok as it was being painted.....pure luck..pure luck. :rolleyes:

I have never experienced an overlap, it is usually shrinkage that is the problem. The best way is to read the paste manufacturers instructions carefully, and carry them out. Also don't be too heavy with the seam roller, it can show up when the paper is dry.

Yep..and on that point...if you do use a seam roller put a strip of scrap paper over the joint first...then roll the scrap paper ..it will stop you getting polishing marks on the face of your paper

Zampa said:
Yep..and on that point...if you do use a seam roller put a strip of scrap paper over the joint first...then roll the scrap paper ..it will stop you getting polishing marks on the face of your paper

Good tip ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back