Wallpaper feature wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

what’s the correct process for wallpapering a feature wall?

the wall currently had a murial?! Of planet earth on it in the centre which is applied over a Matt blue emulsion. I did the planet earth quite a few years ago and whilst it’s stayed up it is coming off far easier than I would have expected.

I want to wallpaper this wall and paint the others

do I paint the others first?
Do I do something to the wall prior to papering?
Should the joints be butted up or overlapped slightly?

haven’t picked the wallpaper yet but will most likely be paste the paper stuff.

I have only ever wallpapered a feature wall once before, that was some black sparkly, glittery flower stuff and if I’m honest it looks good, I put the joints against each other and they didn’t shrink away to leave a gap.

want to make sure I do a proper job and worried about gaps appearing, don’t know if last time was beginners luck or maybe the wall was better because I stripped paper off beforehand?

help much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
You always start in the middle when doing a feature wall so the pattern is even across the wall

To stops gaps appearing , size the wall before you paper it and always soak the wallpaper according to the manufactorers instructions on time

Paper the feature wall last , if you don't then you risk splattering it with paint when you paint the walls and ceilings/gloss the woodwork

Always butt the joints and as long as you follow the manufacturers instructions you will have no shrinkage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back