wallpaper paste removal

• Thread starter deanibusmaximus
  • Start date
D

deanibusmaximus

Hello! some advice please! I have just stripped wallpaper from a feature wall and am going to be replacing it with wallpaper again.
I have washed the wall several times, but quite a lot of wallpaper paste still remains.
I know that if I were going to paint the wall I would have to get all the paste off, but is this still the case when re-wallpapering?

Is expensive paper, so I need to get this right, gulp.

Sponsored Links
just fill and sand the wall smooth then apply a thinned paste to wall. let this dry then paper over it.

thin coat of paste? is that what people call size? how long does it normally take to dry?

thin coat of paste? is that what people call size? how long does it normally take to dry?

yes people in the trade do call it size. drying times can depend on differing situations i.e how porous the walls are, temp of the room, thickness of the size etc. just make sure the wall is dry to the touch before papering.

Sponsored Links
Size usually dries within 6 hours, but definitely in 12.

Thanks for replies. just a thought . Is it possible to use diluted pva as a size, or would it do more harm than good. its just that pva seems to dry quicker

No, I'd recommend using good quality wallpaper paste, diluted down as per instructions on the packet.

Why the mad haste?

haste cus I am trying to surprise someone . just want to crack on thats all

Use PVA and you`ll get cracks alright - between the sheets of paper as it pulls back when drying :LOL:

thanks! I shall avoid the pva then and just use weak paste. cheers all!

For what its worth don't buy traditional size. It is made out of dead animals and absolutely stinks out the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back