Wallpaper paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hanging 'paste the wall' wallpaper.

The paste I have got says 'paste the paper paste'... Can I still use this for paste the wall wallpaper or do I need to buy specific 'paste the wall wallpaper paste"?

I thought paste was paste!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Most of the advice I have seen, states: Any good quality, general purpose, wallpaper adhesive can be used with paste the wall, wallpaper.

However, if your paste is labeled 'paste the paper paste', that suggests it might not be general purpose!
And, it may be worth getting the proper stuff (even if it is exactly the same stuff beneath the surface! :)).

The wallpapers instructions, might also give you a clue.

Do you have ready mixed paste or is it mix it yourself? I personally never paste the wall (don't like getting paste all over my hanging brush) so even with paste the wall I use a ready mixed paste and paste one piece then hang immediately.
You have to watch though as some paste the walls have a different backing and for this I needed the actual paste the wall paste. It was about 20 quid for 5 litres (Soviet was all I could get at short notice)
As a side note, some of the wallpapers today it can be quite impossible if you're trying to hang them with normal mix yourself pastes. I always use ready mixed these days. 10 litres for about 15 quid!

Sponsored Links
Do you have ready mixed paste or is it mix it yourself? I personally never paste the wall (don't like getting paste all over my hanging brush) so even with paste the wall I use a ready mixed paste and paste one piece then hang immediately.

It has been over a year since I last had to hang a paste the wall paper. It was a WC. Like you I normally paste the paper but because of the layout of the room, I opted to paste the wall. I was more than happy with the outcome. That said, I use a vinyl smoother rather than a smoothing brush. I did however paste the sections of the paper that meet the ceiling and skirting to ensure that they would bend enough to fold before running a knife/straight edge along it.

Given the cost of the paper, I did recommend that the customer pay extra for the paste recommended and supplied by the retailer. I suspect that it was just the bog standard Everbuild powdered paste in an expensive cardboard tube...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back