Buying a new oil boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We need a new boiler and one of the heating engineers I have had round to give an estimate recommends a Grant Vortex pro 26 for our house, to be kept in the garage, floor mounted.

I haven't read anything bad about them, but he isn't keen on me buying it off the internet (!) and would prefer to supply it himself. He is estimating the whole fitting, flue and boiler cost etc. to include hole drilled thru from utility to garage (v. close) will be around $3K plus VAT.

This seems quite high - any thoughts? Nico :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you are going to have a Grant, look here and see who else is in your area. You may be able to get Grant to tell you who is "A" rated.

Sponsored Links
I considered Grant Vortex was the way to go a few years ago when I was still working but not sure if there have been any technology improvements over the last 4 years or so. The WB Greenstars seemed to be overly complex and delicate to me.

On the rare occasions I have done oil ch systems and get my oftec mate to put the boiler in and commission, I have always supplied Grant boilers.

Never had any bother as yet.

My mate only fits Grant's himself as well.

Grant, Grant, Grant! Take the casing off a WB and it all falls to bits. Look on Grant website for approved local installers.

Thanks to all who replied so helpfully. Worcester and Grant seem to be most favoured - plenty of strong feelings on the subject, tho.

One guy I had out said he fitted Warmflow and preferred them as they could be wall mounted, but I now nothing about them. Will research.

Thanks again for advice.

B

Worcester favoured here by an admitted non-oil expert, are not favoured by anybdy who has worked on a Greenstar.

Grant also make a wall mounted boiler, as does HRM, as do Grandee, as do Trianco, and probably others. Grant and HRM have exceptional after sales service IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back