Buzzing tranny - any suggestions??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Recently installed a funky new low volt halogen light in my kitchen - it's also on a dimmer. However, the transformer in the light makes a loud buzzing noise and I think it will eventually get on my nerves! Is there anything I can do to reduce this? Would changing the transformer help? Would making it non dimmable help?
Hope you can suggest something
SB :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sparkybird said:
Hi all
Recently installed a funky new low volt halogen light in my kitchen - it's also on a dimmer. However, the transformer in the light makes a loud buzzing noise and I think it will eventually get on my nerves! Is there anything I can do to reduce this? Would changing the transformer help? Would making it non dimmable help?
Hope you can suggest something

all transformers buzz. just some more than others. you could try changing it

depends on the build quality of the transformer, in cheapy ones the pressings of the laminations are not compressed properly and can vibrate.
certainly taking away the dimmer will reduce if not stop the buzzing as transformers like sine waves as opposed to chopped waveforms from triac dimmers (current full of harmonics) running through them if dimming is essential then you may have to wait for the new generation of sine wave dimmers to come down in price.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
Kendor - can you point me in the direction of these new sine wave dimmers or are they really outrageously expensive??

Wait till s/he stops tripping, then send him/her home....

sparkybird said:
Thanks all.
Kendor - can you point me in the direction of these new sine wave dimmers or are they really outrageously expensive??
yep very expensive at the moment as it is still relatively new technology using IGBT semiconductor devices and they are more complicated than their triac counterparts. As cost is high they are mainly being developed for professional use in television, theatres, concert halls etc. but hopefully cheap domestic versions will be out soon.

In the meantime, here's an old-technology version.

R347374-91.jpg

Bit tricky to mount in a normal flush box, though... :LOL:

Maybe it would shrink a bit if you washed it in cold water, I know mine does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back