Bye Bye Polystyrene Coving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Removed some of that horrible polystyrene coving off my kitchen ceiling. Don't really fancy replacing the stuff.

I'm looking at painting the walls and ceiling soon but am scared that the edges of the ceiling might not look too great. Sanded and scraped them to try and get rid of any adhesive residue, some patches went down to the coat of paint before. Any ideas on anything else I could do to prep for painting? I just want to rid the ceiling of evidence of the coving.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Skim around the wall/ceiling line with 2 "very thin" coats of ready mix joint finish, then sand it down. Put one thin coat on one day, then repeat the following day, then let it dry. You'll only need to skim down the wall 2 or 3 from the top, and 2 or 3 inches out onto the ceiling. Once it's sanded down/feather at the edges, then painted, you'll never notice it. I use a fine, 180 grit sandpaper for blending new to old on painted walls, too rough a sandpaper scratches the paint/plaster.

Thanks for that what do you mean by joint finish?

would Gyproc Ready Mix Joint Cement from BandQ be what I'm after?

Sponsored Links
Benjii Wrote,,

would Gyproc Ready Mix Joint Cement from BandQ be what I'm after?

Yes,, that's it,,,, you could use that Benjii. Put it on thinly, (two seperate coats), and try to put it on as smooth as you can,, especially at the edges The smoother you put it on, the less sanding.
I normally use Gyproc ProMix Lite, a similar product, but it's easier to sand,, although it's more expensive,, £20 + for a 17ltr tub. For all you'll gonna need, ask around some of your painter friends.

The Gyproc Ready Mix from B/Q is harder to sand, so use a coarser sandpaper,, a 120 grit or similar. If i'm using a 120 grit s/paper, i normally rub it across a concrete floor a couple of times, just enough "to break it in", you dont want it too rough, sanding down readymix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back