Cable advice sought on greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- first post, hoped someone could advise?
i have had a power supply to shed 20 plus years now, about 25 mtrs from cu on own fuseway 30 amp, cable is 2.5mm in a synthetic hardened outdoor cable (very tough) not swa. In shed there is a garage cu with 16a and 6 amp mcbs and RCD for radial circuit consisting of two 2 gang socket outlets metal. other for shed lighting. Maximum tools used are 1500 watts. I would like to extend circuit to greehouse which is a foot away and use 4, 2 gang socket outlets IP66 rated so i can run a pond pump,uv and greehhouse equipment ( all items are fairly low wattage useage) pump only 60 watts. Also run a socket just outside greenhouse for use in garden can be placed on wall a couple of feet from greenhouse.Can i run 2.5mm rubber pond type cable (as is waterproof) in 20mm conduit for protection through greenhouse and then run same out of greenhouse the few feet to IP66 socket on ajacent wall. small run will have other physical protection. Thank You, timetospare

Sponsored Links
why not just put it all on a 13A plug and plug into existing sockets as an extension lead..

this gives you RCD protection, the ability to plug in a timer and removes the need to inform the LABC as any external electrics is notifiable..

You must be a mind reader?
I am already doing this as a temporary measure, to get pond established and filtered. But would like to have proper job done? "timetospare" perhaps add lighting to greenhouse in waterproof fitting so i could work when in the mood with enough sockets for a little entertainment Radio or TV as well?
More about convenience then large usage of power, as is outside socket as proposed.
Would like to confirm if 2.5 cable is OK for radial circuit or would i have to go for 4mm (from CU in shed) baring in mind have only 2.5 from CU in house, run 25 mtrs max. Has been perfectly ok for all needs to date. I do not want a ridiculous amount of hassle like trying to replace existing run if at all necessary? Cannot multi task! "use many high wattage " items at same time. Wife stays away from shed and greenhouse! Thank you for your patience in advance!
timetospare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back