cable for cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys, im gonna run a 6mm cable from the consumer unit to the kitchen for for my electric cooker, the kitchen has just been replastered, , how can i bring the cable down from the ceiling, down under the worktop....shall i cut a channel about 2-3 inched wide down to the breeze blocks, cover the cable with some electrical sheathing plate then plaster over it or just run it down the wall with some plastic ducting....what does the laww state..cheers

Sponsored Links
You need only to protect it with plastic channel. That is so you don't damage the cable whilst plastering. Just make sure the run is vertical.

Taylortwocities said:
Where are you planning to locate the isolation switch?
if you mean the cooker control unit, near enough to the electric cooker and below the worktop, where it is normally located.

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
No I mean the isolator switch. The one that has to be situated within 2 metres of the cooker.
Hang on here one minute, im gettin a bit confused here....it seem straight forward according to this :

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el027.php#a4

it doesnt mention anything about any isolator switch....so where exactly does this isolator switch fit in according to the guide in the above link....

yes that all fine, obviously saftey comes first and before i even attempt to do it i will have a freind who although isnt a sparky, but know so much about everthing.have a look ....back to my point from what ive been reading on the net, an isolating switch is basically the cooker control unit with the neon indictor light like this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-NICKEL-...0QQihZ002QQcategoryZ57215QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so the switch isolates the supply to the cooker which can then be moved or whatever you are going to do with this...am i correct..cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Simple

There must be switch easily accesible to isolate the cooker from the power, accessible rapidly ( ie not behind the cleaning materials or cereal packs ) and without having to reach over a cooker which has a jammed thermostat and is about to glow red hot all over.

Also there should a point between this switch and the cooker where the flex from the cooker can be disconnected to remove the cooker. This used to be inside the cooker switch until it was realise that even with that switch off there were live terminals where the person was working to connect or disconnect the cooker.

ok i see..then its consumer unit > cooker control unit > isolation switch > terminal output block > cooker..

goofy gorilla said:
ok i see..then its consumer unit > cooker control unit > isolation switch > terminal output block > cooker..

cooker control and isolation switch are the same thing.

bernardgreen said:
goofy gorilla said:

cooker control and isolation switch are the same thing.
thankyou mate...thats what i was thinking until someone in the above posts starting talking about isolation switches etc....

luminaire said:
You need only to protect it with plastic channel. That is so you don't damage the cable whilst plastering. Just make sure the run is vertical.

A cable does not require protection if its run within the correct wiring zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back