New Cooker(s) wiring

20 Jan 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'm updating our kitchen, and just at first phase stage before plastering, and wondering what cables to run etc.

We have an existing 6mm cable running from the consumer unit on a 32a breaker which went to the old cooker. We are having two cookers in the new kitchen, both rated at 3.6kw. The run is about 10m from the consumer unit to the cookers.

Do I need to run another 6mm cable, or will this cable be ok for both new cookers?

Many Thanks,
Sponsored Links
A correctly designed 32A circuit using 6mm² cable is usually sufficient for up to 15 kW of domestic cooking appliances.

Provided that the existing cooker switch is no further than 2m from any appliance, it can be used to supply them.

When you say 2 cookers, do you mean 2 ovens? 3.6 kW would be a very low power cooker. What about your hob - is that gas or electric?

Replacing an appliance would not be notifiable; installing new fixed cables in a kitchen is, and such new cables would also most likely require RCD protection if they are buried in the wall, or the cooker switch has a socket.
Thanks for the quick reply - yes, the hob is gas, so we have two new ovens.

So it sounds like I'm fine with the existing run of 6mm cable from the consumer unit. The cooker switch is right next to the two new ovens, so should be perfect.

What is the best way of connecting both when we install them - one wire from the switch to the first oven, then on to the next oven, or do they both need to be wired back to the switch?

Many Thanks,
Sponsored Links
One of these dual outlet cooker plates will allow you to connect both ovens.

CU --- 6mm² --> Cooker Switch --- 6mm² ---> Dual outlet plate ----> Ovens

Preferably use 4mm² cable to connect the ovens to the plate, or whatever the manufacturer recommends. (One could use 2.5 mm², but this arrangement, while permissible, does not provide overload protection for the individual oven cables; only fault protection.)

Please check the manufacturer's instructions in case they have specific requirements regarding overcurrent protection. They usually state a minimum of 16A.

I'm updating our kitchen, and just at first phase stage before plastering, and wondering what cables to run etc.
Do you plan to apply for Building Regulations approval, as you are required to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local