Cooker Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an electric cooker (oven only) that draws a max of 2.7KW. I have just looked at the breaker and noticed it is a 32a and the cooker is fed via 6mm twin and earth. The feed goes in to a cooker connection switch and then the cooker its self is hard wired in to this via 6mm twin and earth.

Now I have no way of changing the 6mm cable that feeds the cooker connection unit from the consumer unit but have access to the cooker cable from the connection unit.

32a breaker and 6mm cable seems a bit wrong / over kill to me??

How should it be done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Leave it as it is.

The purpose of the breaker is to protect the cable and should always be less than the cable's current carrying capacity - which in this case it is.
The oven will only draw the power that it is designed to draw.
Furthermore, you may well decide to change said oven to a bigger one
in future.

He'll probably also struggle to get 2.5mm² flex into a plug.

1.5mm² will be fine for a 2.7kW load.

Sponsored Links
He will not struggle, don't get involved in things that you don't understand.
I do understand it.

Please provide links to plugs where the maker states that 2.5mm² flex can be used.

I dont think I will attempt 2.5mm flex in to a domestic plug..... 1.5mm will do this trick :) and would it be OK to change the connection unit to a double socket? can you even get 6mm in to one!?

The breaker's job is to protect the cable between the CU and the accessory/ies - nothing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back