Double Oven and Induction Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I am installing a new Kitchen and have replaced a freestanding cooker with a seperate Double Oven and Induction Hob

Currently there is a single 6mm cable connected to a 32a breaker then running from the Consumer Unit to the cooker switch.

My querey is how to connect up the seperate oven and hob....ratings are as follows;

Oven max 5.2kw
Hob Max 7.2 kw

Can I run the Hob using the same 32a breaker, 6mm cable and new fused connection unit , and then spur from that one to a second fused connection unit for the oven . If so what amperage should the new fcu's that feed both the oven and hob

I understand this may be allowed if the two appliences are no more than 2m from the switch. In my case both appliences are about 3m from the consumer unit and are on top of eachover about 0.5m from the switch.

The consumer unit does have a spare space where another 32a breaker could be inserted to run a seperate 6mm cable to run them indipendently but it does already have 3x 32a, 1x 16a and 2x 6a with a 80a rccb. Would you consider that enough already??

Anny advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Connect 'em up with some damp string chap, it'll probably be safer.... either that or scroll down and read one of the other dozen posts on the same subject in the last couple of days - or get a gas hob so that you can actually control the amount of heat you are applying to your pans, and use woks and unusual shaped / non stick pans properly. Good luck finding a 32 amp FCU btw.

Thank you Sean T for your very unhelpful response....Incidentally sorry for the confusion I did not intend to connect them to fcu's, I intended to connect the hob to the existing cooker switch(but a new one). I was unsure of amperage possibly 45a?? , then run a 6mm cable from the live side of the switch to a second switch for the cooker, or directly to the cooker if the switch is unnecessary. Is there anyone else out there who can give me a more informative answer to my question??????

Sponsored Links
Looking at the other threads I think the correct thing to do would be to run a second cable from the fcu utilising the spare space with another 32a breaker and run them both independently on separate switches.

I did think there was something about being able to run the both from one cable if they were less than 2m from the switch but there you go!!

Can anyone clarify this one way or the other?????

You could connect both to the one isolation switch if it is within 2 metres of both appliances. But you are limited to a max current when both are running of 32amps.

As you will see from the other posts this will probably result in the fuse tripping when both appliances are running with a few things on the go at once.

Your max draw could be as much as 54 amps. All the advice you need is already in the other posts so I wont (AGAIN) go over the diversity, part P, isolation etc issues.

I'd run an additional feed with separate mcb.

Currently there is a single 6mm cable connected to a 32a breaker then running from the Consumer Unit to the cooker switch.

My querey is how to connect up the seperate oven and hob....ratings are as follows;

Oven max 5.2kw
Hob Max 7.2 kw

Oven = 22.6amps
Hob = 31.31amps

Total 53.91amps

Now you can apply diversity as follows

The first 10amps plus 30% of the remainder = 10+15=25amps design current (+ another 5amps if your cooker switch has a socket outlet).

So although your sailing close to the limit, you can, if you wish run both the oven and hob from the same 32amp circuit.

Personally, I would try it because unless you're running a commercial kitchen it's unlikely you will trip the breaker in normal use.

This would be my preferred option as I do have a space in the consumer unit for another breaker. My only concern was that the consumer unit does already have 3x 32a, 1x 16a and 2x 6a with a 80a rccb. Would you consider adding another 32a breaker would cause any problems??

You could connect both to the one isolation switch if it is within 2 metres of both appliances. But you are limited to a max current when both are running of 32amps.

As you will see from the other posts this will probably result in the fuse tripping when both appliances are running with a few things on the go at once.

Your max draw could be as much as 54 amps. All the advice you need is already in the other posts so I wont (AGAIN) go over the diversity, part P, isolation etc issues.

I'd run an additional feed with separate mcb.

This would be my preferred option as I do have a space in the consumer unit for another breaker. My only concern was that the consumer unit does already have 3x 32a, 1x 16a and 2x 6a with a 80a rccb. Would you consider adding another 32a breaker would cause any problems??

The additional load on the consumer unit will be the same whether it's connected to one MCB or two.

Try to keep the hob MCB next to the main switch followed by the oven. The other 3no 32's should be next, then the 16 and so on

Thanks for that ,will definately go for that option, safer than joining them together.

Dont like cold turkey on xmas day!!!!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back