Induction Hob and Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks in advance. I have purchased an induction hob (7.2Kw) and an electric oven (3Kw). There are 2 cooker outlets in the kitchen via 2 switches. The first is on a 32A MCB at the consumer unit in 6mm cable and the second uses a 45A MCB and is in 10mm cable.

Can I get your opinions on what would be the best way to connect these up. I was going to do the Hob to the 45A outlet and the oven to the 32A but am just worried these are a little high, especially as most ovens now usually go in on a 13A plug.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers recommendation is what you need to look at. For installed items the manufacturer can require you to protect to a set size of automatic disconnection device.

Norm would be to use a fused connection unit (FCU) for oven so reducing it to 13A.

Since your hob is bang on 32A it could be connected to either outlet. Unless the manufacturer says different.

Well MI's state a 13A supply for oven and a 30A supply for hob so.......
What I propose is to change the 45A mcb to a 30 mcb which is on the 10mm cable and use this for the hob connection and then as you say install a 13A fsu from the 32A 6mm connection, bit of a pain, but thanks.

Just out of interest, rather then installing an fsu, could you get away with just changing the mcb to 16A??

You didn't say if these are household or commercial.

For household cookers you could just use the 32A circuit for both cookers (up to 19 kW using the standard diversity calculation).

You could put a 10.5 kW instantaneous water heater on the other circuit. ;)

Sponsored Links
Electrically it would depend on the size of cable fitted.

However, you should follow the MI.

You can swap the Cooker Outlet for the FCU. You won't have to dig out the wall; it will fit the same back box (usually).

The link to the most relevant part in BAS's set is broken.
No it isn't.
But the link to "Approved Documents (Building Regulations advice)" is.
1) It's not "mine".

2) If you find a broken link do you

a) Just moan about it.

b) Take note of this:

DIYnot.com Wiki

What is a Wiki?

A wiki is a website where users can add, remove, and edit every page using a web browser. It is like an encyclopedia that anyone can edit and contribute towards...

What I propose is to change the 45A mcb to a 30 mcb
That is notifiable.

Just out of interest, rather then installing an fsu, could you get away with just changing the mcb to 16A??
That would be notifiable.

And installing the fixed appliances, if they are not replacements, is notifiable.

Hi and thanks in advance. I have purchased an induction hob (7.2Kw) and an electric oven (3Kw). There are 2 cooker outlets in the kitchen via 2 switches. The first is on a 32A MCB at the consumer unit in 6mm cable and the second uses a 45A MCB and is in 10mm cable.

Can I get your opinions on what would be the best way to connect these up. I was going to do the Hob to the 45A outlet and the oven to the 32A but am just worried these are a little high, especially as most ovens now usually go in on a 13A plug.

Stop making things difficult for yourself and avoid the need to notify by
leaving the MCB's alone.
The purpose of the MCB's is to protect the cable. As long as the MCB is less than the current carrying capacity of the cable then you are okay.

The current carrying capacity (clipped direct or buried in plaster) of the 10mm is 63Amps. The current carrying capacity (clipped direct or buried in plaster) of the 6mm is 46Amps.

Stick the Hob on the 10mm cable 45 Amp circuit. via a cooker connection unit.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...te_Mk_Accessories/MK_Cooker_Outlet/index.html
Stick the Oven on the 6mm cable32 Amp circuit using one of these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP636.html
bring the 6mm to one side with a cooker conection unit and a single socket on the other then connect you oven via the plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back