Electric cooker and Induction Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI - I think this question has bounced around a few times, but I would like some confirmation please.

New kitchen on the way and did not realise the rating of the induction hob - silly me - alongside an electric oven.

Currently have 45A breaker in consumer unit, 10mm (I think, but at least 6mm) cable to CCU. Induction Hob (7.2 KW) and Oven (4.6 KW) will be within 2 metres of CCU (intend to use 45A CCU without 13A outlet to reduce load).

Can I run Hob and Oven from same CCU?

If you can, and I think you can if you apply diversity (hardly ever use the oven as we use separate microwave combi on another circuit - except on Pizza Night), would you run 2 tails to cooker cable outlets from the CCU (it will be tight with 10mm) or a one tail to a cooker cable outlet and feed oven and hob from there?

Hope that makes sense - thanks Darrel

Sponsored Links
Had a look through the forums and see that I have to have a separate switch to the hob and the oven. As it happens I had teh spec for the wrong oven, I was looking at a double oven the single oven is 2.8KW therefore I can run from the ring. Problem solved - thanks anyway.

Diversity is:

10A
+30% of each 'unit' over 10A
(+5A for a CCU socket (which you are not having))

You need to work out the unit of diversity for each ring/zone/plate on the induction hob to do it properly, I've just done diversity for the hob and oven as an average to use as an example.

I=P/V

so

Oven is 20A, after diversity 6A
Hob is 31.3A, after diversity 9.4A

Total current after divesity 25.4A

So yes you can run hob and oven off same CCU, still use the 45A breaker and 6/10mm2 cable though!

Remember to use heat resistant flex to connect the CCU to the oven and hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back