Oven and hob supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about to refrub kitchen and have the following in situ

cooker supply with 32a mcb wired with 10mm to 45a switch cooker and socket then 10mm to the CCU

im looking to install seperate oven (now on other side of kitchen) and hob same side as current supply.

the oven is 5.5kw and the hob 7.2kw

can i take both off the existing supply (leaving the 45a dp in place), the cooker would require a run over 6-8 meters from ccu using 6mm - and if so where do i spur from - the ccu

thx

Sponsored Links
It might be my maths!!!

But I make this a potential demand for just the cokker and oven of about 54 amps.

So you cannot hope to pull this all through one single 32amp breaker!!

You would need a 32Amp MCB for the cooker and 40 Amp MCB for the oven, before going with this you will still need to consider what you want to plug in, v. drop etc.

Get a spark in you don't want to burn your house down

Well the cable size is fine and will take over 60amps if fixed by method 1. I would personally apply diversity in this situ. Get rid of the switch with the socket outlet that will save 5amps and put in a 45amp switch. Allow 14amps for the cooker and 16amps for the hob so you could use a 32amp breaker. As the cable size is so large you could put a larger breaker in (40 amp providing your consumer unit is suitable) but 32 should be fine. The problem I see is splitting the cable to supply the other side of the room. I presume you have a cooker outlet. The only thing I can think of is to replace this with atwin outlet type, then you can take a feed to the cooker and to the hob. The feed to the other side of the room will also have to have a 45amp switch. This would mean the 1st switch would isolate both appliances and the second switch the oven. You could have got away with 1 switch for both appliances if they were within 2 metres of each other. As Oharaf has said Volt Drop needs to be calculated, so the full length of the cable is needed to do this.

Sponsored Links
Thx guys

The cable run would be 5.9m, could reduce it by upto 1mtr by locating the second switch differently if that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back