electric oven and gas hob into same FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Im replacing an old gas cooker with an electric oven (2.7KW) and separate gas hob which has an electric ignition. Nearby there is an old 45A CCU running on a radial protected by a 32A mcb at the Consumer unit.

Can I replace the CCU with a 13A FCU and wire both the oven and hob into it? Also (as Im assuming there will be spare acpacity on the circuit)can I then run a spur from the FCU to wire in a 13A socket?

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Treat it as a radial. Then you can do what you wish, but bear in mind that as the protective device is 32A, you must use 6mm² cable throughout. The protective device is easily swapped for 16A, BUT remember using two sizes of cable on a circuit leads to confusion.

....but bear in mind that as the protective device is 32A, you must use 6mm² cable throughout. The protective device is easily swapped for 16A, BUT remember using two sizes of cable on a circuit leads to confusion.

I agree on the confusion and good practice front but if the CCU is replaced with a FCU then the fuse in the FCU can then act as overload protection for the whole circuit even though there could potentially be a 32A OPD at the origin of the circuit (short-circuit protection).

From a DIY point of view though, Steve is correct.

As the oven will most likely be supplied with a fitted plug, just replace the cooker outlet with a double socket and plug the oven and the hob ignition in.
No need to change anything else.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps...

Although I understand its not good practice to have different size cables on the same circuit, if I did replace the 32A MCB with a 16A MCB what size cable would i then need to connect the new 13a socket?

Also, if the gas hob ignition was wired into the 13A FCU would it be adequatley protected (would it not need a 3A fuse?)

Cheers

Matt

Personally I'd just put in a double socket, that way oven can be fused at 13A, ignition at 3A, and all sorted. Either that or two FCUs next to each other (although getting 2x6mm cables into an FCU terminal might be a little tricky).

One thing to mention however is in England or Wales this work would be notifiable under Part P to your LABC before carrying it out. Given the amount most LABC's charge as a notification fee, it may be cheaper for you to just get a qualified spark in to do the work. See the wiki for more info on Part P etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back