Oven / Hob Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a CCU feeding a cooker outlet behind a single oven, all wiring is 6mm. At the moment the cooker outlet feeds a ceramic hob directly, and the single oven via a 13A FCU.

As part of a kitchen refit I'm replacing the ceramic hob with a gas hob, which will require an ignition feed rated at, I believe, 3A.

Rather than having a mess of cooker outlets and FCUs behind my oven, I was wondering about simply replacing the cable outlet with a twin 13A socket, and simply plug in the oven and the hob ignition with appropriate fuses.

The CCU is connected via a 32A MCB so should provide adequate protection for a twin socket connected via 6mm T&E, I believe?

Sponsored Links
That appears acceptable, assuming the oven remans less than 3kw.

Personally I prefer to connect the ovens via a sfcu.cos better contact is assured, but your design is as I say acceptable.

It's just a single oven, and will be replaced with another single oven at a later date. Both rated at 13A and capable of being fed from a 13A plug.

I'd thought about fitting a twin pattress with two SFCU's, however don't fancy my chances of getting two 6mm cables into the first one!

2.5 mm . t & e would be acceptable as the link from the oven sfcu to the ign. fscu... however its your choice as to which method to use....no problems either method.

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiousity, why do you use switched FCUs rather than unswitched, if they're not going to be accessible anyway?

If the oven develops a fault you can pull out the oven, switch off the switched fuse connecter and work on the oven. Simples, if it was unswitched you would then be removing fuses, not a problem but a lot easier to switch it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back