electric hob and double oven

Do you think it's good practice to use a dedicated circuit to supply general various other appliances
It's not really 'various other appliances' - the cooker hood is part of the 'cooking set up'. Do you similarly feel that it is bad practice to run a gas hob's igniter from a cooker circuit?

... and how do you feel about cooker control units (fed from a cooker circuit) which include a 13A socket (presumably to be used for 'various other appliances')?

Kind Regards, John

It's not really the same thing is it, those examples are rediculous

So you confirm you think that it would be good practice to spur off the cooker circuit in 2.5 to supply an extractor hood rather than to supply it from a ring final circuit

Sponsored Links
No they are not. Will you please answer the question about CCUs with sockets.

So you confirm you think that it would be good practice to spur off the cooker circuit in 2.5 to supply an extractor hood rather than to supply it from a ring final circuit
Will you please explain why you think it is bad practice to design a circuit to supply an oven, a hob, and an extractor hood.

Eh? What's "ridiculous" about a gas hob igniter or a socket in a CCU being fed from a cooker circuit - both of which are extremely common situations?
I don't really understand what you mean by 'good practice' and 'bad practice'. What I do think is that any circuit is acceptable if it is properly designed and constructed for the purpose(s) in question.

I really think it's down to you to explain what is 'bad practice' about what you describe ... and why it is worse that the ("ridiculous") concept of running a kettle, toaster, mixer or whatever off a socket in a CCU fed by the cooker circuit, or powering a gas hob from a spur from that circuit.

Kind Regards, John

Pulling it off the cooker circuit is poor practice imho
I think it is a good idea and best practice.
I always do it if possible.
I am not a kitchen fitter in the derisory sense you meant but I have fitted kitchens

Do you think it's good practice to use a dedicated circuit to supply general various other appliances
What do you understand by dedicated?

It would then be dedicated for all the cooking appliances.

Yes. 1.5mm² would do (subject to fault current).

Sponsored Links
Well how ever you try and justify it, its just not done like that professionally

Im not saying its against regs cause its not but given the choice why would you opt for that?

Would you supply a towel rail from a shower circuit just cause its in a bathroom?

Anyhoo I'm not here to preach or try and convert anybody, you crack on, ill crack on...

Well how ever you try and justify it, its just not done like that professionally
So why has a professional just said that he believes it to be "best practice"?

You have not really answered any of the questions posed to you about comparable situations, nor have you given us even one specific reason why it is 'not good practice'.

However, there is equally nothing wrong with how you would like to do it - so, as you say, you can just crack on.

Kind Regards, John

You keep on making that basic assertion, and yet you have so far been unable or unwilling to explain what is unprofessional about designing a circuit to supply an oven, a hob and an extractor.

If the hood had no lights in it why would it be the done thing, professionally to connect it to a lighting circuit but not to the same ciruit as the appliances with which it is closely associated?

This cooker has an integrated extractor hood:

Integral_environmental-protection_cooker_home_appliance_kitchen_appliance.jpg

If you were asked to install one would you first get your tools out and rewire it so that the hood was separately powered, on the grounds that it is unprofessional to have the cooker and the hood on the same circuit?

Im not saying its against regs cause its not but given the choice why would you opt for that?
How many times do you have to be asked "why would you not" before you give a proper answer?

Would you supply a towel rail from a shower circuit just cause its in a bathroom?
Will you please explain what would be wrong with designing a circuit to supply a shower and a towel rail?

Anyhoo I'm not here to preach or try and convert anybody, you crack on, ill crack on...
Before you crack on will you please answer the question about CCUs with sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back