Electric oven and hob

25 Feb 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Fitting a separate electric oven and hob in the morning. The cooker switch is fed by 6mm t&e from the CU. The hob will be hardwired the cooker switch again in 6mm. the instructions state the oven can just be plugged into a socket, so is it ok to just plug the oven into the socket outlet on the cooker switch? Therefore the hob will be protected by the mcb and the oven by the 13amp plug.
Sponsored Links
Not really the ideal way, it will depend where the CCU is and what risks the plug top and flex are open to.
The most practical thing to do would be to run a socket outlet at lower level, below worktop and plug in to that.
What ratings are the appliances?
Sorry should have said the cooker switch is below worktop level so there's not danger to flex or plug. From memory the oven is 2.4kw and the hob is 6.3kw.
Providing the flex is not trailing and a potential trip hazard, I can't see it being a problem.
It's not the most practical of situations as I would normally install a single socket outlet behind or near the oven spurred from the CCU.
But it should do.
Sponsored Links
Ok thank you, ideally I'd like to run a spur from the cooker switch/socket but the guy has just had his kitchen plastered so is reluctant to chase the wall if this is an option
Ah! the old trick of plaster first then think about the electrics :rolleyes:

There are always option, but that does not mean they are suitable.
You could run it in trunking, but that will be seen.
You could run a new circuit, but again will depend on location off CU, if it is possible to route a cable without damage to plaster and hidden cable behind units or under floor.
You could also try taking a spur from another more suitably located outlet.
Ok thank you, ideally I'd like to run a spur from the cooker switch/socket but the guy has just had his kitchen plastered so is reluctant to chase the wall if this is an option
That sounds exactly as if "the guy" is some sort of customer.

Fitting a separate electric oven and hob in the morning.
Wouldn't it be better if the job this customer is paying for was done by someone who knew what he was doing?
Ban all sheds - "the guy" is actually a mate and I'm not taking a penny for it. If I don't do it for him he'll do it himself and he doesn't have a clue. The manufacturer states the oven can be plugged in so where's the problem? All cable will be protected by the correct device. Or do you think he'll be better off just sticking whatever cable in he can afford and burning his house down? Either way, manners cost nothing, prick
I don't think bas was being a prick or showing bad manners.
Just making some observations.
That I would say without trying to sound harsh, judging by your post on this thread are well founded.
Regardlesss of whether you getting paid or not the work should be carried out in safe way and installed in compliance to part p (building regs)/BS7671:2008.
Depending where in the UK you live, they may be certain requirement you need to carry out with respect to notification of this work. If any of the kitchen circuits are altered or new circuits/cables installed.
It is advisable if any alterations are made, that the circuit is tested to prove the installation is safe, the readings should be documented and certificates issued.
Unfortunately or fortunately depending which way you look at it, do to law changes in 2005 work in areas such as kitchens and bathrooms come under strict guidelines and could be considered no longer work to be carried out by your normal DIY person or friend.
Most electrical work within these rooms becomes notifiable. Again depend where in the UK you live.
So don't be annoyed or frustrated when someone, offers comments regarding these issues. It's your safety and your friends their family, pets, neighbours and the property's safety etc.. That is of paramount importance.
These are links to information that could apply to you
I appreciate I'm not a spark and it needs to be done in accordance with regs. I only mention money because of the implication I'm ripping someone off. All I'm trying to do is make this cooker as safe as I can, like I say if I don't do it my mate WILL do it himself and I guarantee that won't be safe.
Yes I'm not a spark but I have more knowledge about the area than my mate? What would you do in my situation? Let your friend install it himself knowing it would be dangerous?
My reaction may have been harsh as was implying I know nothing
It's a dilemma, that you can only make the call on.
I am all for DIy and helping pals out but what you must understand is the implication of your actions. Legality, safety, responsibility, whether it will effect future house sale or invalidate any insurance claims made. They are just a few issue here.
What I must say is if you are considering doing this work, without notification.
At least make sure the system is tested with calibrated instruments and the readings taken are compliant and prove that your installation is safe.
But I am not saying that is the right way to go about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links