Plugging hob into cooker switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Realise this question gets asked a lot (nosed on this site a lot), but couldn’t quite find a specific answer (lots similar though) but, I’m sure someone will know (and tell me to get a man in)!

Recently moved house, previous owner took cook/hob/oven need to install a new oven & hob.

What I have is:
Induction hob
3.0kW
comes with a 13amp plug (plug and play).

Electric fan oven
2.9kW
Hardwired

Electrics with photos:

Cooker Switch & Socket (has our temporary travel hob plugged in at the moment)
1.png

Electrical outlet under counter with 6mm cable
2.png

and an MCB B40 in the consumer unit.
3.png

Hopefully that's all the info.

Simple (dumb) question - can I plug the induction hob into the Cooker Switch Socket (like I have the temp. hob). Or, should the Cooker switch be replaced with one without the socket and a socket made available under the counter?

I realise I’d need to make an access hole/cover for ease of getting the hob plug through the worktop. Whole kitchen needs replacing so I don't mind how that looks.

Oven would then be hardwired with 6mm cable already available underneath.

(Our previous house it was the other way around, the hob was hardwired and oven plugged into a socket under the counter. Both those connections went back to a cooker switch).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That'll look naff - but yes.

Connect them both to the connector - there are double ones which you could get.
There may be an issue with the flex if you do this which an electrician could verify or you may be able to fit a larger flex.

Do the oven instructions say anything about a fusing rating?
It will likely have a similar flex to the hob.

Hi, appreciate the response, thank you. The whole kitchen looks naff so it’ll just match! Think I read about the double type connectors here. I’ll have it done more neatly when we redo the kitchen - at the moment it’s more a case of just having something to cook on.

I’ve had a chance to check the cable and believe it’s a 6mm twin & earth going back to the consumer unit. It’s about a 7m run.

Hard to find anything about the fuse rating of the Neff oven, nothing in the manual - it doesn’t come with a flex so will need one (you've recommended this one in another thread, ours is not that high rated an oven) . I believe it’s 16 amp judging from appliances direct.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back