Electric oven and hob cable sizing

OK! It's not only the cable that needs to be considered.
It's not - but iut is what (all) we've been talking about!
If it comes without a plug it is considered to be a component (or whatever official term is used) and therefore is permitted to be correctly fused or otherwise protected external to the appliance.
Sure. If it is suitable and 'intended' to be used with a 13A plug then, if it has a fitted lead, I think it also has to have a plug, but that obviously does not apply if a 13A supply would not be adequate.
It also needs to be installed correctly, with correct clearances, heat resisting materials, ventilation etcetera according to MI's
Obviously true - but not what we are talking about - and I'm not sure that 'qualified electricians' are any more capable of correctly dealing with such matters as are people who are not 'qualified electricians',are they?

Sponsored Links
No - but, in turn, "as I have just replied", the discussion here has been "restricted to electrical".
But in turn there is always a raft of instructions involved with installing equipment where heating is concerned. I don't understand why people single out one specific instruction to ignore.

Sponsored Links
But in turn there is always a raft of instructions involved with installing equipment where heating is concerned. I don't understand why people single out one specific instruction to ignore.
I'm not sure that they do. This is an Electrics forum and the question asked in the OP of this thread related specifically to the electric cable, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that this discussion is limited to that topic, does it?

I'm not sure that they do. This is an Electrics forum and the question asked in the OP of this thread related specifically to the electric cable, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that this discussion is limited to that topic, does it?
You can limit it to what you like but picking and chosing between different documents to suit your own interests doesn't make sense to me especially where one is essentially unrelated to the product.

Last edited:
You can limit it to what you like but picking and chosing between different documents to suit your own interests doesn't make sense to me especially where one is essentially unrelated to the product.
I don't get it. As I said, we're not 'picking and choosing between documents to suit our own interests" - we are, in an Electrics forum, discussing the one electrical question which was raised by the OP.

"I'm out" !

Yes. Even without invoking diversity, 2.5mm² flex is more than adequate for 3.5kW and very nearly adequate for 6kw, so that, when one does consider diversity, such cable would be more than adequate for both oven and hob.

It would be very strange if cooking appliances came fitted with cables which were inadequate to carry the current drawn by those appliances !

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for your reply. So the 2.5mm flex is adequate for the 3.5kw without taking into account diversity. With regards to the 6kw induction hob, would you advise leaving the 2.5mm flex or upgrading to 4mm flex? I'm concerned the 2.5mm cable may overload if all 4 rings are on at the same time.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. So the 2.5mm flex is adequate for the 3.5kw without taking into account diversity.
Indeed - I would say "even without taking into account diversity", since there;'s nothing wrong with the concept of diversity. 2.5mm² flex has a current-carrying capacity of 25A, but 3.5kW only represents about 15.2A, even if the 3.5kW relates to 230V (less if, as usual, it is 3,.5 kW at 240V).
With regards to the 6kw induction hob, would you advise leaving the 2.5mm flex or upgrading to 4mm flex? I'm concerned the 2.5mm cable may overload if all 4 rings are on at the same time.
If it's 6 kW at 230V, that would be a current of about 26.1A, so fractionally more than the 25A capacity of 2.5mm² flex. However, after application of diversity,that 6kW at 230V would represent only about 14.8A, so fine with 2.5mm² flex (if one invokes diversity). It's entirely up to you but, for what it's worth, I would personally be perfectly happy with 2.5mm².

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back