Supply for gas hob and electric oven

27 Mar 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I will be installing a gas hob with electric oven underneath. I have a cooker switch wired in 6mm from 32A MCB and want to use this dedicated circuit to reduce the load on the ring.

Since the oven is rated at 13A (comes with a plug), and the hob at 3A, is it better to:
1) Run 6mm cable from the switched side of the cooker switch to 2 FCU's fused at 13A and 3A instead of a cooker outlet, and wire the oven and hob flexes into the FCU's.

2) Power the hob off a separate FCU on the ring circuit, and power the oven from an FCU or normal socket connected to the switched side of the cooker switch.

Both seem OK to me, but was wondering if there was a standard, best practice way to wire these appliances.
Sponsored Links
Go for (1) and wire from the load side of thge cooker switch to fs 1 13a and then on to fs2 3a.

2.5 TE will cover the loads, no need for 6mm which is a PITA to terminate.
Agreed Chri5! Yes 6mm is a s0d to terminate without much swearing.

Thanks for the reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links