Installing oven, hob and cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I'm trying to get my head round replacing a free-standing cooker with a built in oven and hob, plus add a cooker hood.
The old cooker was marked as "max 7.5kW, oven 2kW" fed from a cooker switch combined with 13A socket, on a 30A circuit breaker.
The new hob is 6.5kW, oven is 2.2kW.
There is a low level single socket for a fridge on this wall plus a double socket above the worktop.

My plan is to:

Run a spur from the double socket for the cooker hood (cable run through conduit vertically then horizontally more than 150mm from the wall an ceiling to a single socket behind the hood "chimney").
Replace the single socket with a double and connect the oven to this with 2.5mm butyl cable (is this necessary?)
Connect the hob to the existing cooker outlet with 6mm cable (can I still keep the 13A cooker socket on a 30A cb?)

Alternatively - can I use a double cooker outlet and connect one outlet to the hob and the other to a single socket and plug the oven into that. (guess I should replace the cooker control switch with a single 45A dp switch?)

Am I thinking along the right lines and also is this notifiable in Scotland with current regs?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Run a spur from the double socket for the cooker hood
You have confirmed that this socket isn't itself a spur?

(cable run through conduit
How do you plan to earth this?

Also - useful tip - use singles rather than twin&earth - they will be much easier to pull through.

vertically then horizontally more than 150mm from the wall an ceiling to a single socket behind the hood "chimney").
IMO a flex outlet plate behind the chimney and an FCU with an engraved "COOKER HOOD" legend next to the socket would be better.

Replace the single socket with a double and connect the oven to this with 2.5mm butyl cable (is this necessary?)
2.5mm is way OTT for 10A, and larger than BS 1363 requires plugs to accept, so you may struggle to get it in.

If the manufacturer says to use butyl then use it.

Connect the hob to the existing cooker outlet with 6mm cable (can I still keep the 13A cooker socket on a 30A cb?)
You may.

Alternatively - can I use a double cooker outlet and connect one outlet to the hob and the other to a single socket and plug the oven into that.
Yes. Make sure you use a socket which will accept 6mm² conductors.

(guess I should replace the cooker control switch with a single 45A dp switch?)
Why? Are you planning on upgrading the circuit from 30A to 45A?

Am I thinking along the right lines and also is this notifiable in Scotland with current regs?
Don't know about Scottish Building Regs - sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back