Correct socket for double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently bought a new house (built in 2003) which had a single oven and a gas hob, I want to put in a new double oven instead of the single oven, the double oven is 3.8kw. The gas hob has a plug for the ignition.
There already exists a dedicated circuit for the oven, with a 32amp MCB in the consumer unit. This circuit runs to (what looks like) a 45a cooker switch located above the kitchen worktop, and then the cable (the same thick electrical cable) runs from the cooker switch down to a 13a double socket inside the kitchen base unit next to where the cooker is located. The single oven was plugged into this double socket, as was the gas hob (for the ignition).
Would it be OK for me to change the double 13a socket for a 45 Amp Cooker Socket with 13A Switched Socket e.g. screwfix 96324 http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-gan...ug-socket-w-led-brushed-stainless-steel/96324 and then hard wire the double oven into it and plug the gas hob into the switched socket.
Seems like the simplest thing to do but not sure its the right thing to do.
Any guidance much appreciated!
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Hi, if the cable is 6mm or 10mm, yes that would be fine.

Kind regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back