Cooker / Hob Circuit Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quick question.. I am replacing an old Electric Oven / Gas Hob with a new Electric Oven / Electric Hob. The old applicances were on the Cooker radial circut with a 32A MCB in the Consumer Unit. The new applicances are rated as follows:

Cooker 5.3 KW
Hob 6.4 KW

I was planning on the following configuration: Replace the 32A MBC with a 45A MCB (since I have no spare in consumer unit). From the Cooker Control Unit run two 6mm2 cables to two Terminal Outlet Boxes, one for the hob and one for the cooker. Connect each applicance to its TOB also with 6mm2 cable. I guess I also have an option of running one single 10mm2 cable from CCU to TOB and then feeding off two 6mm2 cables from this point, one to each appliance?

My main problem though is that the existing run from the Consumer Unit to the CCU is a 6mm2 cable. I am sure this should be 10mm2 (if I will be using a 45A MCB). The distance from the CU to the CCU is about 5M (at most... under flooring). Also, the current CCU is one with a socket but I am thinking to replace this with a dedicated CCU since there are plently of sockets in the kitchen. Before I replace the cable from the CU to the CCU with 10mm2 (it will be a nightmare job) I just wanted to check that my thoughts on the configuration are correct?

Thanks in advance

M.

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to replace a gas hob with an electric hob?
Would be easier to keep to the same arrangement and just upgrade your appliances.

Thanks for the answer, but not that helpful.... as my wife makes the decisions on which appliances she wants, so I just get to install the stuff she tells me she needs.

Sponsored Links
First i agree with luminaire change the oven but gas hobs far superior for cooking.

But regarding your question on full load the current circuit could possibly trip the rcd and the 6mm2 cable could be overloaded.

However allowing for diversity of cooker radial circuits the 32a mcb should be okay as would the cable.

Running the two appliances in 2 separate 6mm2 cable's from outlet is okay. The cooker switch must be within 2 metres of both appliances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back