Double Oven/ Hob wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a double oven which would be rated at approx 5.5kw (based upon the KW of spare elements as I have no manual) connected via a cooker connection unit fed from a 45A DP switch. The wiring is in 6mm2 embedded within the plaster for 500mm and then in capping for 1m and is about 1.5 metres from the consumer unit.
I also now have a 6.6KW hob to replace a gas hob which I need to connect to the supply. Can I connect the hob to the same wall plate as the oven and use a diversity calculation and do I need another separate cooker connection unit for the hob?

Should I uprate the cable to 10mm2 and leave as radial or could I 'ring' the circuit in 6mm2 back to the CU and have a 45A MCB.

I wouldn't think that this an uncommon scenario and advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
I also now have a 6.6KW hob to replace a gas hob which I need to connect to the supply.
How odd - replacing an existing appliance with something inferior...

Anyway - what type of electric hob is it?

Can I connect the hob to the same wall plate as the oven and use a diversity calculation and do I need another separate cooker connection unit for the hob?
Std diversity says that a 23A circuit is enough, but in reality may not be. What is the rating of the existing one?

When you say "and then in capping", what do you mean?

If you do connect both to it you'll find life easier if you replace the outlet plate with a double one.

Should I uprate the cable to 10mm2 and leave as radial or could I 'ring' the circuit in 6mm2 back to the CU and have a 45A MCB.
You could do either, but the 2nd option is not a ring, it's a parallel circuit, and would need the length of the new cable to be the same, or almost, as the existing, and follow substantially the same route.

Be advised that any changes apart from the double outlet plate would be notifiable.

inferior it may be BAS, but as someone brought up and taught to cook on an electric hob, I find that I keep burning everything on the gas hob i fitted in my own flat after you convinced me gas was better...

Sponsored Links
Thanks BAS

Its one of those flat shiny glass ceramic jobs with touch controls. The missus thinks it looks better than the gas one. Remains to be seen if she can cook with it :D

BTW. When I said capping I meant trunking.

Its one of those flat shiny glass ceramic jobs with touch controls.
So not induction then...?

The missus thinks it looks better than the gas one.
Form over function - always a bad idea, particularly with tools in places of work.

Remains to be seen if she can cook with it :D
ColJack's problem aside, if she is used to gas and not electric she may struggle for a while.

Ever wondered why you don't find electric hobs in professional kitchens?

Oh well - the deed is done - at least you've got the gas supply to revert to if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back